Clients have written begging us to provide them with a recipe for Cuban bread, so that they can replicate sandwiches they had in Miami. As constantly, we’re happy to oblige!
- four cups (482g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Objective Flour
- four teaspoons (14g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 one/four teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast
- four tablespoons (57g) butter or three tablespoons (42g) lard, reduce into modest pieces
- 1 1/4 cups (283g) lukewarm water
Roast Pork and Marinade
- 1 one/four pounds (567g) boneless pork: roast, ribs, chops, or pork tenderloin
- 3 tablespoons (43g) minced garlic
- three tablespoons (14g) minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon (7g) paprika (ideally hot)
- two teaspoons ground cumin
- one teaspoon ground black pepper
- one teaspoon salt
- two tablespoons (28g) lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (25g) vegetable or olive oil
- sliced roast pork (from above)
- 1/four to one/three pound (114g) thinly sliced smoked ham
- three/four pound (340g) thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 (312g) massive “pickle barrel” pickles
- 4 tablespoons (57g) melted butter or 1/four cup (49g) olive oil
To make the rolls: Mix, then knead with each other all of the dough elements — by hand, or using a stand mixer or bread machine set on the dough cycle — to make a smooth, supple dough.
Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and let the dough to rise until finally it’s puffy, although not always doubled in bulk — about one hour, based on the warmth of your kitchen. Gently fold the dough in upon itself and turn it upside-down soon after 30 minutes this “turn” aids eliminate some of the extra carbon dioxide and redistributes the yeast’s meals, the two imperative for optimum yeast growth.
Deflate the dough, and divide it into six pieces. Shape each piece into a rough log. Allow the logs rest for 15 minutes, covered, then form every piece into a smooth roll about 8″ lengthy, slightly tapered at each and every end. Area the rolls on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
Allow the rolls rise, covered, for one hour. In direction of the end of the increasing time, preheat the oven to 375°F.
Brush or spray the rolls with water, and slash a single lengthy lengthwise slit down the middle of each and every. Bake for about thirty minutes, or till golden brown. Take away the rolls from the oven, and awesome on a rack. The rolls may be produced 1 day in advance and stored at area temperature, or several weeks in advance and frozen.
To prepare the pork: Combine all of the marinade components with each other (all of the elements except the pork), and rub this mixture over all surfaces of the meat. Cover nicely, and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Spot the pork in a roasting pan or ovenproof dish, and roast for thirty to 40 minutes, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until cooked via. Take away the pork from the oven, and amazing it completely before slicing thinly.
To assemble the sandwiches: Slice the rolls in half horizontally. Brush the lower surfaces of the rolls with olive oil or melted butter.
Layer the sandwiches as follows: Swiss cheese, sliced pickle, ham, sliced roast pork, then further cheese.
Now comes the relatively challenging part. You want to grill these sandwiches, top and bottom, whilst at the very same time flattening them slightly. This helps meld all of the filling elements. If you have a panini iron, this is the best area to use it do not tighten down the cover also significantly, as you will not want the sandwiches totally flattened.
If you never have a panini iron, heat two large skillets, or a griddle, to medium, about 325°F. Lightly grease the griddle and/or skillets. Brush the bottoms of the sandwiches lightly with olive oil or melted butter.
Grill for five to seven minutes over medium heat, checking often to make certain the bottoms are not burning. Modify the heat downward if the bottoms are turning out to be brown soon after only a couple of minutes. Turn the sandwiches over and grill for a number of far more minutes, until finally lightty crisp on each sides, and the cheese is melting. Eliminate from the heat, and serve warm.